UniTube: Retirement of Service
The Higher Education Development Centre created UniTube, and have been providing software updates and bug
fixes. However, HEDC is no longer in a position to provide service updates, and as such, UniTube will
not be supported beyond mid-2018 (we have extended the date to allow people to find alternate hosting services).
While you can continue to use UniTube, you may wish to consider
using another media hosting service, such as
Podcasting (http://www.otago.ac.nz/podcasts) or
Otago Capture (http://www.otago.ac.nz/capture),
and if your media is public, YouTube (http://www.youtube.com).
If you need assistance to select an alternative hosing service, please contact the IT Service Desk.
- First, upload all the files required for your presentation (audio, PowerPoint etc.) as usual on the 'My Media’
page. Once your files have been uploaded, from the ‘My Media’ page, click on ‘My Presenter’.
- Click ‘Create new presentation’. This will load the screen where you can select your files. You can also find
the ‘Create New Presentation’ link above your media list on the ‘My Media’ page.
- Enter a title for your presentation and select the files you would like to use from the drop-down boxes. You can
choose up to two audio/video files. Use the ‘Presentation’ drop-down box to select the file that contains your
slideshow or text. Click ‘Save’.
- The next screen will display your new presentation, including a link to view it. If you would like to adjust the
timing of the pages, load the synchronisation tool by clicking on ‘Sync’.
- The ‘Synchronisation workspace’ will display your audio/video file(s) in a timeline. Click ‘Add a slide’. The
pop-up window will display all the slides or pages of your presentation or document. Click the first page you
would like to insert into the audio/video timeline.
- The page you have selected will be represented by a point on an orange timeline bar, underneath the audio/video
timeline. You can click and drag the point to match it with a point in the audio/video file.
- Repeat the last two steps for each of the pages/slides you wish to use. The pages will also be displayed on the
screen, with two time points listed underneath them. These represent the start and the end times of when that
particular page will appear.
- You can continue to adjust the synchronisation by clicking and dragging the points on the orange timeline until
you are happy with your presentation. You can view it as you go by clicking ‘View this presentation’.
- Click ‘Save Presentation’ when you are done. It is also a good idea to save every so often as you go - you will
be kept on the same page.