UniTube: Retirement of Service
The Higher Education Development Centre created UniTube, and have been providing software updates and bug
fixes. However, HEDC is no longer in a position to provide service updates, and as such, UniTube will
not be supported beyond mid-2018 (we have extended the date to allow people to find alternate hosting services).
While you can continue to use UniTube, you may wish to consider
using another media hosting service, such as
Podcasting (http://www.otago.ac.nz/podcasts) or
Otago Capture (http://www.otago.ac.nz/capture),
and if your media is public, YouTube (http://www.youtube.com).
If you need assistance to select an alternative hosing service, please contact the IT Service Desk.
To display or inspect an image:
- When you view an image, you will see some ImageViewer links at the bottom right of the screen. First, click ‘View Image in ImageViewer’.
- A slider in the toolbar on the left of the screen allows you to zoom in on the image. Below this, there are two tabs entitled ‘View’ and ‘Measure’.
- In the ‘View’ tab, clicking on the hand icon will allow you to navigate around the image while zoomed in.
To edit your image’s ImageViewer settings:
- If you click to edit your image file, at the bottom of the screen you will see a link called ‘Edit ImageViewer Option’.
- In the settings screen that appears, you can specify the size you would like the image to be displayed to viewers and your preferred unit of measurement. You can also specify the minimum and maximum percentage you would like users to be able to zoom. Other settings include specifying whether you would like to display measurement tools and a grid for users to examine your image, and whether others are also able to annotate it. If your image is large, you may be provided with multiple size options. If you would like to allow a lot of detail to be viewed by zooming, it is recommended that you use the original (the largest possible).
- Click ‘Save’. You will then be returned to the regular image editing options screen. Click ‘Save’ again.
To measure an image:
- In the ‘Measure’ tab of ImageViewer, you can measure aspects of the image either by using the line or area tool. Select either one of the tools, then click on the small ruler icon above. Click and drag to draw a line, or click multiple points and join then to create an area. The distance or area of the portion you have marked out is displayed at the top above the image. Selecting ‘Multiple measurements’ allows you to display several measurements at once.
- To assist with your measuring, you can check a box to ‘Show grid’ and customise the width, height and number of columns and rows of the grid. You can also determine the colour of the lines by clicking on the colour box to display a colour-picker tool.
- When you are done with the measuring tools, click ‘Clear’, next to where the results of your measurement(s) are displayed.
To annotate an image:
- The ‘Add New Annotation’ link can be found at the bottom of either the regular file view page or the ImageViewer page.
- The ImageViewer page will load (or reload) with an ‘Annotate’ tab in the toolbar. Click on the shape you would like to use to select a part of the image. If using an arrow or circle, click and drag to create the shape. If using the polygon tool, click multiple points and join them to create a shape.
- Once your shape has been created, a popup window will allow you to name and describe your annotation. You can also change the appearance of the shape by editing the colour, stroke width or fill opacity. Click ‘Okay’. You will be returned to the ImageViewer. Click ‘Save annotations’ in the left hand toolbar and re-enter the name of your annotation as prompted before leaving the page.
- If you return to view the image in ImageViewer mode, the names of the annotations that have been added and the UniTubas who added them will be listed at the bottom of the screen. Click the name of the annotation to view it. The text detail will be displayed as a key within the ‘View’ tab.